After feeding those in need today which was about 261 families, a little more than we ususually give out too, a man stopped by and popped in the door of You Are Special and approached my son, Caleb. He asked, “Is this the food pantry?” to which Caleb responded, “yes but we are all out of food.” Jason responded with , “no, no, I am not here to get food but to drop off some money.” Very surprised Caleb responded with, “Wow, well go right over there and you’ll find the person you need to talk to.” So Jason came over and met my husband Eric who then brought me out. Jason preceded to tell us that he and his family have some piggy bank jars lined up in their house and they put money in there for different purposes and one of those purposes was to give to YAS, a local food pantry. Needless to say that was extremely generous and kind to think of us. The amount does not matter but the heart of giving does.
Right now the economy is challenging and many people are hurting and have a basic need to feed their families. We serve whoever has a need no questions asked the unemployed, the homeless, the working poor, children, the destitute, the single parents, the youth out of college that do not have jobs right now, and the elderly which make up almost half of who we give too. It breaks my heart. One lady told me that she is feeding her family of 30 this weekend for Chinese New Year. I would have liked to help her more but we just don’t have the finance capability to do that.
We so appreciate those who stop by like Jason and his wife Jennifer and for that we are thankful for their generosity and their heart.
- Feeding the 5000 – or atleast those in Downtown Columbus! (2012thedifferenceisyou.wordpress.com)
- Peanut Butter Needed (fumcoutofthebox.com)
- Food Elves, Downtown Partnership collect a ton of food! (franklinmatters.org)
- NJ couple launches new food pantry – for pets (mysanantonio.com)
- House of Hope mobilizes food pantry (tcpalm.com)
- Church determined to keep food pantry going (mysanantonio.com)
- Food pantry in New Jersey provides sustenance for pets (philly.com)
- Mother Jones Food Pantry Needs Hundreds Of Toys For Holiday Party (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Due To High Demand, Food Pantry Shuts Doors (npr.org)
- Hunger on Main Street and Even Sesame Street (boston.com)
- Thanksgiving Dinner Giveaway tonight @You Are Special Community Outreach food pantry! (covenantlifechristianchurchyas.wordpress.com)